The Pittock Mansion sits on top of one of the West Hills overlooking Portland. Built in 1914 by Henry Pittock, owner of The Oregonian Newspaper, it is now a museum and open for visitors.
Three floors are open to the public. The house is 16,000 square feet with 44 rooms. Currently 23 rooms are open for viewing. The outbuildings include a garage which is worth taking a peek at and a gift shop.
The mansion sits on 46 acres of land much of it landscaped and it includes a short walking trail. This is a wonderful place for a picnic while you enjoy the spectacular views over Portland with Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens in the background.
The mansion was occupied by descendants of Henry Pittock until 1958. An unsuccessful attempt was made to sell the property and then in 1962 the Columbus Day wind storm did extensive damage to the house. It looked like it was going to be demolished so developers could build houses on the property. Concerned citizens began raising money to help the city purchase the house and this was accomplished by 1964.
I remember touring the house in 1969. Repairs of the storm damage had been done but the house had very little furniture in it. It was pretty much a tour of an empty house. Today the rooms have furniture and carpets from the period. Some of these items were purchased from the Pittock family or donated by them. The museum is currently improving its art collection and adding to the vintage decorative and household items collection.
Christmas time is a great time to visit when every room in the mansion is decorated with a Christmas theme.
There are restrooms available and a gift shop is on the grounds.
Open Times are:
Feb 1–June 30, 11–4PM daily
July 1–Aug 31, 10–4PM daily
Sept 1–Dec 31, 11–4PM daily
Admission Fees are:
Seniors (65+) $6.00
Youth (ages 6-18) $4.00
Visiting the grounds is free.
3229 NW Pittock Drive
Portland, OR 97210
Telephone: (503) 823-3623