The Oregon Garden
The Oregon Garden is a wonderful place to visit for all ages whether you are a gardener yourself looking for ideas or just enjoy visiting beautiful landscapes.
The Oregon Garden is a series of over 20 gardens covering 80 acres located just outside of Silverton, Oregon a few miles from Salem. Each garden has a specific theme featuring water, conifers children's garden, roses, and even a pet friendly garden. The children's garden and the train garden are very enjoyable for young children. The Garden Cafe serves lunch, soft drinks, and coffee.
Information on Specific Gardens
Here is some information on each of the gardens:
- A-Mazing Water Garden - Complete with a waterfall, this garden forms a wildlife habitat.
- Axis Garden - Centered with a beautiful water fountain, the Axis Garden features lawn and garden beds with ornamental plantings and changing seasonal color.
- Bosque Garden - It has four relecting ponds and 40 planter boxes containing a Pacific Sunset Maple giving spectacular color in the fall.
- Chez Garden - This garden demonstrates shade-loving plants and shows how to use vegetables in a decorative border.
- Children's Garden - Children will enjoy the tree house, digging for dinosaur bones, the Hobbit House, and whimsical topiary.
- Conifer Garden - A large collection of dwarf and minature conifers with some that are one of a kind from different regions of the world.
- Green Roof Garden - Demonstrates different plantings for a green roof.
- Home Demonstration Garden - Home gardeners can come here for inspiration on planting their own home garden. It is divided into sections, each planted and maintained by a different garden nursery.
- Honor Garden - Honors the different individuals and organizations who helped build the Oregon Garden.
- Lewis and Clark Garden - Features plants documented by explorers Lewis and Clark on their expedition 200 years ago when Oregon was only occupied by native indians.
- Market Garden - Features 147 agricultural crops grown in the Willamette Valley.
- Northwest Garden - Plants that thrive in the Pacific Northwest. This is a must see for anyone doing a new landscape design.
- Oak Grove - This garden has 25 acres of native oak trees. The Signature Oak is 100 feet high and is 400 years old.
- Pet Friendly Garden - Let your dog check out this garden that is planted just for him. Learn about plants that are not toxic to your cats and dogs.
- Rediscovery Forest - Learn about forest management, reforestation, and growing Christmas trees while walking the trails that run through the forest.
- Rose Garden - This garden is planted with 40 different rose varieties.
- Sensory Garden - A garden created for the physically handicapped which features scents and textures. There is a 20-foot-long rain curtain.
- Train Garden - This is a delight for both young and old. The Pacific Crossings Railroad Club of Salem and the Rose City Garden Railway Society Club of Portland have created this exhibit with a model train which runs on track that travels through hedges and winds around a mountain.
- Tropical House - Features tropical plants.
- Wetlands - An area of wetlands habitat.
In addition to the gardens you will want to visit Gordon House, the only house in Oregon designed by the famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. The house was moved from the Gordon Farm in Wilsonville in 2002 and is the only Frank Lloyd Wright house open to the public in the Pacific Northwest.
Oregon Garden Weddings
The Oregon Garden is the perfect venue for outdoor weddings. The Garden Green can accommodate up to 1000 guests. The Bosque Garden can accommodate 200 guests. The Wedding Garden accommodates up to 200 people. If you prefer an indoor wedding, The Grand Hall is available and can accommodate up to 500 guests.
The Oregon Garden Resort
The Oregon Garden Resort is a new hotel adjacent to the garden. The resort has a restaurant and lounge with views of the gardens and the Willamette Valley. The rooms all have a gas fireplace and either a landscaped patio or a balcony overlooking the gardens. Save 25% on a stay at Oregon Garden Resort.
Other places to visit nearby:
Silver Creek Falls